He is a drunkard whose habit it is to get drunk; whose ebriety has become habitual. The terms “drunkard” and “habitual drunkard” mean the same thing. Com. v. Whitney, 5 Gray (Mass.) 85; Gourlay y. Gourlay, 1G R. I. 705, 19 Atl. 142.A “common” drunkard is defined by statute in some states as a person who hasbeen convicted of drunkenness (or proved to have been drunk) a certain number oftimes within a limilcd period. State v. Kelly, 12 R. I. 535; State v. Flynn. 10 It. I. 10. 11Atl. 170. Elsewhere the word “common” in this connection is understood as beingequivalent to “habitual,” (State v. Savage. S9 Ala. 1, 7 South. 183. 7 I,. It. A. 420; Com.v. McXamee, 112 Mass. 280; State v. Ryan. 70 Wis. G70. 30 N. W. 823;) or perhaps assynonymous with “public,” (Com. v. Whitney, 5 Gray [Mass.] 80.)
What is DRUNKARD?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?