The English court of common pleas was one of the lour superior courts at Westminster, and existed up to the passing of the judicature acts. It was also styled the “Common Bench.” It was one of the courts derived from the breaking up of the aula reyis, and had exclusive jurisdiction of all real actions and of c’Jininuuia placita, or common pleas, i. e., between subject and subject. It was presided over by a chief justice with four puisne judges. Appeals lay anciently to the king’s bench, but afterwards to the exchequer chamber. See 3 Bl. Comm. 37, et seq. In American law. The name sometimes given to a court of original and general jurisdiction for the trial of issues of fact and law according to the principles of the common law. See Moore v. Barry, 30 S. C. 530, 9 S. E. 589, 4 L. Ii. A. 294.
What is COURT OF COMMON PLEAS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?