Hydrocarbon with some hydrogen atoms replaced by chlorine and fluorine atoms. Chemically and thermally stable, CHCs are noncombustible synthetic solvents with several industrial applications. Some examples are the manufacture of synthetic solvents and insecticides. They endanger the environment by they are poisons that have persistence in the environment because of their chemical stability, and tendency to dissolve with water into the atmosphere. CHCs concentrate in animal fat and attack heart and liver tissue. It can cause an anesthetic or narcotic effect. Sunlight on chlorinated hydrocarbons forms chlorine monoxide, which breaks down ozone in our atmosphere. This allows cancer-causing ultraviolet (UV) rays to reach the earth’s surface by causing large ‘holes’ in the ozone layer. Refer also to chlorofluorocarbon and chlorofluoromethane.
What is CHLORINATED HYDROCARBON (CHC)?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check