In conveyancing. The transferring of the property of a thing from one to another, upon valuable consideration, by way of sale. Shep. Touch, (by Preston,) 221. A contract or bargain by the owner of land, in consideration of money or its equivalent paid, to sell land to another person, called the “bargainee,” whereupon a use arises in favor of the latter, to whom the seisin is transferred by force of the statute of uses. 2 Washb. Real Prop. 128; Brittin v. Freeman, 17 N. J. Law, 231; Iowa v. McFarland, 110 U. S. 471, 4 Sup. Ct. 210, 28 L. Ed. 198; Love v. Miller, 53 Ind. 296, 21 Am. Rep. 192; Slifer v. Beates, 9 Serg. & R. (Pa.) 176. The expression “bargain and sale” is also applied to transfers of personalty, In cases where there Is first an executory agreement for the sale, (the bargain,) and then an actual and completed sale. The proper and technical words to denote a bargain and sale are “bargain and sell;” but any other words that are sufficient to raise a use upon a valuable consideration are sufficient. 2 Wood. Conv. 15; Jackson ex dem. Hudson v. Alexander, 3 Johns. 484, 3 Am. Dec. 517.
What is BARGAIN AND SALE?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?