In conveyancing. The transferring of the property of a thing from one to another, upon valuable consideration, by way of sale. Shep. Touch, (by Preston,) 221. A contract or bargain by the owner of land, in consideration of money or its equivalent paid, to sell land to another person, called the “bargainee,” whereupon a use arises in favor of the latter, to whom the seisin is transferred by force of the statute of uses. 2 Washb. Real Prop. 128; Brittin v. Freeman, 17 N. J. Law, 231; Iowa v. McFarland, 110 U. S. 471, 4 Sup. Ct. 210, 28 L. Ed. 198; Love v. Miller, 53 Ind. 296, 21 Am. Rep. 192; Slifer v. Beates, 9 Serg. & R. (Pa.) 176. The expression “bargain and sale” is also applied to transfers of personalty, In cases where there Is first an executory agreement for the sale, (the bargain,) and then an actual and completed sale. The proper and technical words to denote a bargain and sale are “bargain and sell;” but any other words that are sufficient to raise a use upon a valuable consideration are sufficient. 2 Wood. Conv. 15; Jackson ex dem. Hudson v. Alexander, 3 Johns. 484, 3 Am. Dec. 517.
What is BARGAIN AND SALE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?