Are you in need of a social security card? Did you know that you can apply for one online for free? In this blog post, we will walk you through the process of how to apply for your social security card online for free. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is a Social Security Card and What Is It Used For?
A social security card’s use is mainly to identify someone. The card has a nine-digit number, and it’s very confidential. Persons should try their best to avoid getting it misplaced or losing track of the nine-digit number on there.
The social security card is used to track individuals’ wages and the salaries of self-employed individuals throughout their life. The nine-digit number on the social security card is also used to calculate the social security benefits for eligible persons in the United States.
How To Apply For a Social Security Card Online
Applying for a social security card online is relatively straightforward. Some websites would charge persons to create an account, but it should be free. Here are the steps to apply for a social security card online for free.
- Visit this website: www.ssa.gov
- Scroll way to the bottom of the website, and you should see where it says “social security number” click it.
- Click “sign-in,” or if you don’t have a ‘my social security account,’ you just create one.
- Once logged in, agree with the terms of service and click next.
- After agreeing to the terms. From the list of options, select “replace your social security card.”
- You should answer some questions, like: Do you really need a card? Where can you expect your card to arrive? Can you request a card online? (yes or no)? Do you have a driver’s license or I.D.issued by a US state or territory? (yes or no)?. If you have a driver’s license or I.D.issued by a US state or territory, which state was it issued to? And so on.
- In the final step, you would have to answer some more questions and enter the necessary information like your email address, name, date of birth, etc. After this is completed, you should see a statement “electronic signature,” that you have to click agree for and then hit submit.
The Benefits Of Having a Social Security Card
There are many reasons why you should have a social security card. The number on the card is vital and should be kept secret and appropriately stored because if lost, you can be a target for identity theft. Some benefits are:
- To obtain a driver’s license
- File taxes
- To build up credit
- To get a job
- To collect social security benefits
- To apply for a loan with any financial institution
- To apply for a valid US passport
How To Replace A Lost Or Stolen Social Security Card
Someone who would like to replace their social security card online should visit www.ssa.gov, or if they don’t want to get it done online, they can visit a social security office near them or call this toll-free number 1-800-772-1213.
If you lost your social security card or someone stole it, you should quickly contact your nearest police department to report the theft.
Social Security Card Application Tips
Here are a few tips for the social security card application.
- To apply for a card, it’s free.
- To find out more information you can call 1-800-772-1213.
- If someone loses their card, they can always get a replacement card.
- If you do not have an account to replace a social security card, you can easily create one on the website.
- If you’re going to mail out important documents like a driver’s license, birth certificate, passports, etc., make sure you don’t mail out original documents.
- Any person filing for someone else should display evidence of their relationship to this individual, and this person must show proof of their identity.