What is CHURCH?
In Its most general sense, tue religious society founded and established by Jesus Christ, to receive, preserve, and propagate his doctrines and ordinances. A body or community of Christians, united under one form of government by the profession of the same faith, and the observance of the same ritual and ceremonies. The term may denote either a society of persons who, professing Christianity, hold certain doctrines or observances which differentiate them from other like groups, and who use a common discipline, or the building in which such persons habitually assemble for public worship. Baker v. Fales, 16 Mass. 498; Tate v. Lawrence, 11 Heisk. (Tenn.) 531; In re Zinzow, 18 Misc. Rep. 053, 43 N. Y. Supp. 714; Neale v. St. Paul’s Church, 8 Gill (Md.) 116; Gaff v. Greer, 8S Ind. 122, 45 Am. Rep. 449; Josey v. Trust Co., 100 Ga. 608, 32 S. E. 628. The body of communicants gathered into church order, according to established usage in any town, parish, precinct, or religious society, established according to law, and actually connected and associated therewith for religious purposes, for the time being, is to be regarded as the church of such society, as to all questions of property depending upon that relation. Steb- bins v. Jennings, 10 Pick. (Mass.) 193. A congregational church is a voluntary association of Christians united for discipline and worship, connected with, and forming a part of, some religious society, having a legal existence. Anderson v. Brock, 3 Me. 248. In English ecclesiastical law. An institution established by the law of the land in reference to religion. 3 Steph. Comm. 54. The word “church” is said to mean, in strictness, not the material fabric, but the cure of souls and the right of tithes. 1 Mod. 201.
- How to Annul a Marriage as Peacefully and Easily as Possible
- What Comprises the Common Body of Tax Law?
- What Happens to a Person Who Passes Away with No Life Insurance, Money or Family That Can Help?
- How to Apply For COBRA Insurance and Subsidy
- Why Do Illegal Immigrants Get Free Food Stamps and Health Insurance While Paying No Taxes?
- What Is Organisational Behaviour?
- How Much Should a Lawyer Cost to File for a Green Card Through Marriage?
- How To Do a Background Check on a New Boyfriend
- How To Complete Surveys for Profit
- Can I Apply for Medicaid If We Already Have Private Health Insurance?